Our health exceedingly depends on the alkaline balance of our body, as the function of all immunologic, repair and enzymatic mechanisms is optimal in an alkaline state.
There are three ways in which our body regulates blood pH. Initially, carbon dioxide is slightly acidic, so the alterations of the breathing rate control its levels. For instance, while working out, our body creates carbon dioxide and lactic acid, which is acidic.
Moreover, when we exhale carbon dioxide, we excrete acids. Excess acid is also excreted by kidneys during urination. Furthermore, our blood is abundant in particular chemical combinations called buffers, which resist all sudden alterations in pH.
Moreover, our body needs to perform numerous chemical reactions vital for life that need a very specific pH range, so it has to keep pH within that limited range. The acidic pH level in the body is a critical factor for all autoimmune and degenerative diseases.
An acidic environment has many adverse effects on cell metabolism, as it increases the production of free radicals, and affects the accumulation of edema and fluid, as well as our energy levels.
If the body’s environment is acidic for a longer period, t can lead to numerous health issues, including cancer, morning sickness, allergies, osteoporosis, obesity, diabetes, migraines, stroke, arthritis, cataracts, and gout.
The pH levels in our blood are influenced by all kinds of food we consume. Namely, plant- based foods such as vegetables and fruits are alkaline, while animal- based foods like dairy products and meat are acidic.
Therefore, we need to consume all these foods in order to maintain healthy pH levels, and eliminate or reduce all processed and fast foods, as they increase the acidity in our organism.
PH levels can be easily tested by using cheap pH strips that can be purchased in pharmacies, healthy food stores or online. Yet, according to health experts, it is better to test the urine to examine the total body pH.
In order to do so, you need to do the test immediately after you wake up. Even though the first results may be a bit more acidic, due to the elimination of acid during sleeping, the second reading is much more accurate. Then, you should check the results on the color chart, and you will get an accurate test result.
The most frequent disease of the modern era, which leads to death in the majority of cases, is cancer, and it thrives in an acidic environment of the body. Therefore, you need to know how to maintain the alkaline state of the body:
- As soon as you wake up, consume the following drink: add some lemon juice to a cup of warm water, and add ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
- You need to eliminate all kinds of refined sugar, fried foods, and excessively acidic processed foods from your diet.
- Try to consume grass-fed, organic animal foods only.
- Numerous health care experts advise that you consume a vegan diet rich in alkaline vegetables and fruits in order to ensure a healthy pH level.
- prepare a healthy green smoothie by mixing fresh green fruits and vegetables, kelp, cayenne, wheat grass, spirulina and consume it on a daily basis.
- Try to use natural household cleaning agents like diluted apple cider vinegar, or some natural recipes that use essential oils and plant proteins.
- Try to find some natural soaps, shampoo, body wash, lotions, make- up, mouthwash and facial creams that do not contain synthetic additives and dangerous chemicals.
- You can buy alkaline water with a pH level of 9 in numerous health food stores, which will effectively make your body alkaline.
We will offer you a list of the best foods and beverages with a high alkaline level:
- Collard greens
- Sweet potatoes/Yams
- Winter squash
- Mustard greens
- Ginger tea
- Mineral water
Herbs, Nuts, Seeds
- Ginger root
- Sea salt
- Pumpkin seeds
Other included sources linked in Living Traditionally’s article: